7 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe on Thanksgiving
7 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe on Thanksgiving. It’s impossible to imagine Thanksgiving without family. According to the tradition of Thanksgiving, we must meet with our loved ones around a table to taste an exquisite roast turkey.
Each family dusts off the grandmother’s recipe, where the exact mix of spices and the way of cooking, handed down from generation to generation, contributes to forging memories and creating family identity. The turkey, more than being exquisite, has to taste like home.
But that day, there are many emotions on the surface, the son who studies or lives in another city arrives, the grandchildren run through the house, and the moment even arises to remember and thank those who are not there.
This beautiful and hectic journey becomes one of the most dangerous. Three times as many fires occur on Thanksgiving as on a normal day. In 2019 alone, the country’s fire departments responded to 1,400 fires that day, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Here are some tips to prevent your big party from turning into a misfortune involving your loved ones.
- Never leave the kitchen unattended.
- It is not advisable to fry whole turkeys by submerging them in hot oil. If you do, take the appropriate measures, such that the fryer is on a stable surface, outdoors, at a distance of 10 feet from any structure in your house, wear gloves, and have a suitable lid nearby.
- Children should be away – at least three feet – from where cooking is taking place to prevent them from touching any hot surfaces.
- Make sure that there are no electrical cables that children or the elderly can accidentally touch.
- Even though it is a busy day, try to keep the area where you cook organized, sharp knives, lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
- If you are roasting the turkey, do not leave the house while the oven is on.
- Check that your smoke detectors are operational.
Remember that most homeowner’s insurance covers the client in the event of an accidental fire in their home. 7 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe on Thanksgiving.