FAQs about Vehicle Registration and Renewal
Driving in Miami, as well as any other city, requires you to comply with the law and have legal documentation in your car. Florida Vehicle Registration is part of such information. You don’t want a law officer to stop you and give you a ticket due to a missing license and registration, expired registration, or registration suspended. Believe it or not, this is common and has happened to many experienced drivers. So today, we want to answer some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Vehicle Registration, Renewal, and Title in Miami to get ready to jump behind the wheel and have a safe and prepared ride.
Table of Content
1. Vehicle Registration vs. Vehicle Title
A vehicle title is a legal document issued by a government agency showing the information of the person who owns the vehicle. When the title is transferred to a new owner, the old title is given to the government agency and a new title is generated. A vehicle registration, on the other hand, shows the car is ready and you can use it on a public road.
2. Why must I register my motor vehicle?
As mentioned previously, in order to transit a public road, you must have registered your vehicle.
3.What documents do I need to register my vehicle in Florida?
According to Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLMSV), initial registrations requires you to bring these three documents:
- Proof of identity (required for all owners)
- Proof of Florida Insurance
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040)
4. Do you insure a car before registering it?
As stated in the Florida Insurance Requirements from the FLMSV to register a vehicle with at least 4 wheels you must show proof of insurance(Personal Injury Protection and Property Damage Liability coverages)
We advise you to talk to one of our licensed agents to find the best insurance coverage for your needs.
5. How much is car registration in Miami?
Motor vehicle registration Fees vary starting at $10 depending on the type of vehicle you posses, weight, and other metrics.
6. How do I get a Florida license plate?
7. What is needed to register an out-of-state vehicle in Florida?
Out of state vehicle owners must show proof of identity, proof of Florida Insurance, original out-of-state title(See more at FLSMV website)
8. When must I apply for title?
When you purchase a vehicle you must apply for registration and certificate of title to show proof of ownership.
9. What must I have and do to apply for title?
- Bring the following documentation:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of ownership
- Proof of insurance coverage
- Complete an Aplication for Certificate of Title with/without registration
- Pay applicable sales ta and title and registration fees.
10. Where can I apply for Registration and Title?
Check for appointment availability in advance so you can avoid longer wait times and visit one of the local tag agencies. You may complete form 82040.