What to do before you can say: “we have an exquisite wine list” | UNIVISTA INSURANCE

What to do before you can say: “we have an exquisite wine list”

What to do before you can say: “we have an exquisite wine list”. The essential complement to a good gastronomic experience is the drink, how to obtain a permit to sell beer and wine in a restaurant?
If there is something that characterizes South Florida, in addition to its beautiful beaches, it is the mixture of cultures, whose most sublime materialization is achieved in the flavor of the dishes served in the different restaurants. Peruvian, Vietnamese, Argentinean, Jamaican, Spanish, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Haitian, Cuban, Russian, or Senegalese, there are restaurants for all tastes, so you can travel through the different cuisines of the world, without leaving South Florida.
This is no accident. One of the most common dreams of those who emigrate is to open a restaurant and be able to serve customers the delicacies of their land and why not, the beers and wines of their country. There is nothing more boring than a Spanish restaurant where you can’t have a glass of Rioja or Ribera del Duero. But beware, to include alcoholic beverages on the menu, you need a special license granted by the City and another by the State. Without those permits, you are not authorized to put beer or wine on your client’s table.
There are different types of licenses. Among them, are one that allows beer and wine to be sold on the premises and another that also authorizes the sale of strong drinks such as vodka, rum, or whiskey.
The municipal permit is relatively easy to obtain, it is only necessary to meet certain requirements, among them the location and characteristics of the business requesting the authorization are important. The City, for its part, will review whether the regulations allow the sale of alcoholic beverages in the requested area. Once the municipal permit is obtained, it is time to request the state on the website of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, DBPR, which will issue the license, if all the business documents are in order.
When the restaurant is authorized to include beer and wine on its menu, it is recommended to add civil liability coverage for the sale of alcoholic beverages to the commercial insurance. In this way, if one of your clients under the influence of alcohol injures any person or property, you are protected from possible claims for damages. In addition, such coverage will pay medical bills and defray legal representation expenses. What to do before you can say: “we have an exquisite wine list”.
On the other hand, before making an investment, keep in mind that the license that allows you to sell strong drinks – vodka, whiskey, or rum – is much more complicated to obtain, since there are a limited number of authorizations. The law grants one of these licenses to every 7,500 registered residents. Therefore, the waiting list is endless and some businesses pay high prices for existing licenses, which they transfer to their business.

Call us today for a full qualification! 305-728-2088. You can also quote for free here.